Return to
Community
Page

 

The Women's Civic Club of Katonah

Greta Kerker
Greta Kerker PO Box 22
Katonah, NY 10536
232-3010

Civic Club came into being in January of 1918 as a continuation of the Katonah Suffrage Club, which had been founded in 1913 for the purpose of helping women obtain the right to vote. After years of envisioning a clubhouse of their own, the dream became a reality with the laying of the cornerstone for the Memorial House in 1924, as a tribute to the men and women of Katonah who had served in the war. To replace the many fundraising activities needed to support the property, the Katonah Thrift Shop was started in 1945. The shop originally had many locations in the hamlet, but was installed in the renovated basement of Memorial House in 1984. The house is in constant use by many civic organizations and can be rented by individuals, and not-for-profit groups. Club meetings are held at the Memorial House on Bedford Rd. at 11:30 AM. on the 2nd Thursday of each month from September to June. To join you must be sponsored by a current member and commit to working one 3 hour shift per month at the club Thrift Shop. Women's Civic Club is the largest individual contributor to the local library and offers the largest number of scholarships for local high school students. In addition monies earned from their thrift shop are given also to support girl scouts, the ambulance corps, hospital and many other local civic groups.